Re: Question about the passwd file

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 12/13/03

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:43:27 -0500

"John Bailo" <jbailo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:a7f1ce3406ed666d8bea5fd656f1000a@news.teranews.com...

> Ok, more information:
>
> I guess it still IS using shadow passwords. I renamed shadow to
> shadow.20031201 thinking it would eliminate it -- BUT it looks like shadow
> is still authenticating using the new shadow file (!)
>
> It's still odd since I definitely switched off shadow using authconfig (!)

Hmm. Have you tried running "pwunconv" and "pwconv" to switch things back
and forth from using /etc/shadow?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Odd-looking Bomber
    ... I was wondering what was odd about it. ... Maybe the shadow from the prop on the nose? ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: ftp conversion
    ... My assumption that you can't move the shadow file from solaris 8 to 10 is ... Its ok to move the shadow and passwd entries from solaris 8 to 10. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Question about the passwd file
    ... >>I have switched off shadow and md5 authentication from authconfig. ... >>So my question is WHERE DO THESE PASSWORDS RESIDE ??? ... I renamed shadow to ... > is still authenticating using the new shadow file ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Authenticate a User.
    ... that is probabily it does not take care of shadow, ... in the shadow file as salt, and cryptthe clear text password using ... this salt, it is not the same as in the shodow file. ... Now I am planning to add ssl support for the communication between ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)