Re: Question about the passwd file

From: John Bailo (jbailo_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 12/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:19:52 GMT

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:01:38 +0000, John Bailo wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:26:35 -0500, jmh wrote:
>

>> John Bailo wrote:
>>

>>> HOWEVER, once I took the X out of the second place in /etc/passwd the
>>> passwords started working (!)
>>
>> Out of curiosity is the password filed in /etc/passwd now
>> populated?
>>
>> jmh
>
> Ok, here's the situation and it continues to perplex me.
>
> What happens now, is that if I create a user with useradd and assign a
> password with the -p flag it creates the user, but I cannot ssh to that
> user.
>
> HOWEVER, if I delete the password from /etc/passwd I can then login as
> that user BUT it requires the password that was initially created with
> useradd (!!!)
>
> I have switched off shadow and md5 authentication from authconfig.
>
> So my question is WHERE DO THESE PASSWORDS RESIDE ???

Ok, more information:

I guess it still IS using shadow passwords. I renamed shadow to
shadow.20031201 thinking it would eliminate it -- BUT it looks like shadow
is still authenticating using the new shadow file (!)

It's still odd since I definitely switched off shadow using authconfig (!)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Shadow passwords
    ... >> When shadow was enabled none of the new accounts I created with useradd ... > Did you have a password parameter in useradd? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: useradd -p problems.
    ... > On my Trustix 1.2 box, I noticed that creating a user with 'useradd' and ... the query, he's wondering why it's not going directly into shadow, ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: password limits of 8 characters on FC4
    ... On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:07 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote: ... I ran authconfig and both MD5 and Shadow are ...
    (Fedora)