Re: How secure would chrooted ssh be?

From: /dev/rob0 (rob0_at_gmx.co.uk)
Date: 11/15/03

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:44:19 -0800

In article <86oevfluor.fsf@potato.vegetable.org.uk>, Tim Haynes wrote:
> There are two other systems for virtualising linux, that come with
> little/no performance overhead. First, ctx/vserver patches - see

Thanks for these pointers. I may try them out myself.

> importantly, the site above has a paper with graph of performance of
> VMware, UML and Xeno for a variety of tasks (standard machine performance

I was quite shocked to see the relative standing of UML, often worse
than VMware! I've not tried VMware myself, but I expected it to have
much greater overhead than UML.

BTW I did try the UML on the P166 as mentioned previously, and it felt
sluggish (as one might expect.)

--
  /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Alternative to VMware?
    ... >> I really want to get a copy of VMware, but I don't have $140 for the ... >> student version. ... Doesn't the guest OS's kernel need to be modified to work with uml? ... you can't test livecds and installation routines and such with ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: testing a kernel without reboot
    ... >> first thought for me is also UML, with VMWare as a close second. ... >> is not GPLed or anyhting, but for checking on the boot process of a ... I heard that the kernel has to be ...
    (Debian-User)
  • modeling for ejb application
    ... I am trying my hand at modeling using uml for an ejb application ... for the first time.what would be recommended diagrams for this ... any pointers / links would be greatly appreciated. ...
    (comp.object)