Re: Setting up a Firewall

From: Alberto Rossi (peiopagi_at_ctonet.it)
Date: 11/09/03

Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 13:40:52 +0000

UoVoBW wrote:

> Hello NG
>
> I need help about setting up a firewall on astand alone PC using RH9.
> I heard that usually people use a separate computer as a firewall but i
> can't afford one and i probably won't need one.

You can just use an old computer as a firewall. My own network has an old
Celeron 300Mhz with 32Mb SDRAM and 5gb of HDD space! I think that's enough.

/*
Non occorre chissà che mostro per un firewall... Puoi usare un vecchio
scasseotto come ho fatto io! Celeron 300Mhz, 32Mb di SDRAM e HDD da 5 gb...
Basta e avanza!
*/

> So i need to set a firewall up on my machine in rh9.

Why don't you use iptables?

/*
Perchè non usi iptables?
*/

> I searched the web on google and so on on many other howtos but all of
> them spoke about doing it on a separate pc, whic I wont do.

With iptables you can use the same pc.

/*
Con iptables puoi fare tutto su un solo computer come con 2! Devi solo
attivarlo nel kernel e impararti i comandi con qualche howto...
*/

> Thank you very very much for any help
>
> ps (sorry for the english but i'm italian)

I'm italian too

/*
Pure io sono italiano!! Tu da dove sei?
*/

> Bye

Ciao!

--
$> man woman
$> segmentation fault (core dumped)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Feedback solicited - best way to harden a mail/web server?
    ... Was the system protected by a properly configured firewall? ... it's not a bad "starting point" and it can generate an IPtables rule ... > nor is there a web or ftp server; aside from that I haven't tried to secure ... Before I'll install some nifty application ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Setting up a Firewall
    ... > I need help about setting up a firewall on astand alone PC using RH9. ... > I heard that usually people use a separate computer as a firewall but i ... Why don't you use iptables? ... > ps (sorry for the english but i'm italian) ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER
    ... computer with a broadband connection. ... that IP range will prevent that spammer from wasting your systems ... This approach eventually makes your firewall machine so busy it has ... A better approach is to use IPTables to deny ALL inbound attempts to ...
    (Fedora)
  • linux - iptable firewall DNS question
    ... When my firewall is active, i am unable to use name solving features from my ... iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT ... # $ipnet -> adresse ip de l'interface connectée à internet ... echo ACCES AU FIREWALL DEPUIS LOCAL ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: firestarter start failure?
    ... It writes to iptables firewall rules, and then is done, ... unless gui is open. ... Do I have to start Firestarter after I have rebooted? ... When Firestarter is installed from a package, the firewall ...
    (Ubuntu)