Re: can you make a hard disk read-only?

From: Steve Wolfe (
Date: 10/09/03

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:29:50 -0600

> For a small server or firewall, you could have all the binaries run from
> this disk, or else just use it as a secure basis from which to check all
> the other files on the system at boot time using md5sums or similar.

  I've done something *somewhat* similar, I built a small system using
LFS, and put it on an IDE flash-drive, with the "read-only" jumper set.
The boot process sets up a RAM disk, and untars the image into it.
Nothing can modify the data on the disk, there's never any fscking, and in
the event of something really bad happening, pressing the reset button
will get the machine back to a clean state.

  As for installing Woody and then trying for ultra-security while
applying updates, there are other options. You could build a CD-set that
already has the security updates installed, or even just keep the security
updates on another CD. That way you're installing the OS and applying the
updates before the machine is even connected to the network.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cant install anything
    ... try installing the updates again. ... regsvr32 wuaueng.dll ... when I inferred to "disk" ...
  • Re: Service pack 2
    ... think of it this way: "I should have done the updates and cleaned ... What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 ... application, Disk copier, etc.) You'll be glad to know that if you have ... You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface ...
  • Re: Windows Update problem regarding wuauclt.exe and WindowsUpdate
    ... Mark L. Ferguson ... > there but when I try to read it with notepad, I get an error message that it ... I may just turn off the reporting feature and do the updates ... or the disk is missing. ...
  • Re: 2 questions about memory mapped files
    ... Updates made, power fails. ... Updates made, disk controller/disk drive fails. ... The asynchronous writing is done by the cache mamager and it will do this ... If I then do a shutdown, the shutdown is slow, ...
  • Re: Error Message on Server
    ... > file, disk controller error, virus infection, or memory hardware problems. ... Check the hardware manufacturer's Web site for updates to disk adapter ...