Re: Unchangeable passwords

From: Volker Birk (bumens_at_dingens.org)
Date: 10/05/03

Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:56:46 +0200

Huge <huge@ukmisc.org.uk> wrote:
> People write passwords down. The more of them they have to remember,
> the harder they are and the more often they are changed, the more they
> write them down. And they write them down in stupid places. This is
> far more to do with psychology than crypto.

That's right. So noone of those people should have UID 0.

VB.

--
X-Pie Software GmbH
Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

Relevant Pages

  • Re: questions regarding sh shell
    ... > looked at for a user loging in. ... > You will need to add a password for toor after doing the above ... And it confirms that root and toor have their own passwords (which can ... an UID each. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Unchangeable passwords
    ... Therefore I mentioned not to use passwords for ... UID 0 accounts which can be broken without brute forcing. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Unchangeable passwords
    ... > UID 0 accounts which can be broken without brute forcing. ... as having a central authority who will vet all passwords in their ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Second ROOT account
    ... > them to log into that UID. ... > owned by uid 0 which is the same as root. ... > separate users. ... But they can have separate passwords. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Copying passwd file to another system
    ... will start numbering local user accounts at uid 500+. ... /etc/shadow is based on username not userid. ... not merely passwords. ... "If you want you can have the same account on two different boxes with ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)