Re: Unchangeable passwords

From: Tim Smith (reply_in_group_at_mouse-potato.com)
Date: 10/05/03

    Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 07:37:20 GMT

    In article <4cdea80b.0310031014.47322f6@posting.google.com>, Philip Juels
    wrote:
    > Anyone have advice on the efficacy of assiging users randomly generated
    > passwords and then preventing them from changing their password.

    Well, on the one hand, it means no one can pick a stupid a password, and so
    if anyone tries a dictionary attack on you, you will be pretty safe.

    On the other hand, it means your user's passwords are going to be written
    down on pieces of paper stuck to the monitors, meaning that anyone who can
    socially engineer their way into your facility will have an easy time.

    --
    Evidence Eliminator is worthless.  See evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
    --Tim Smith

    • Re: layout mode filemaker
      ... In this group we refrain from advice that might be used illegally, ... when you say "we" refrain ... ... "Michael Myett" schreef in bericht ... $39 which will recover Filemaker passwords in all versions up to 11 ...
      (comp.databases.filemaker)
    • Re: Security package for an individual in a hostile country
      ... Note that any advice you get here is given by armchair generals. ... Used to encrypt and/or hide your files. ... I'm assuming that the hostile government ... This program saves your passwords and has a ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Gator vs ?
      ... I am grateful for you response and advice. ... wasted your most precious time and I'm not sure Mr. Chambers would ... >> My wife installed and uses Gator because the auto filling and remembering ... >> passwords etc. Can someone tell me how to set up XP to automatically ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Unchangeable passwords
      ... >Anyone have advice on the efficacy of assiging users randomly ... >generated passwords and then preventing them from changing their ... It's OK if you don't mind having your passwords written on the office ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • illegal user root user failed login attempts
      ... There are two really important pieces of advice on that web page ... what passwords people are using with their illegal login scams: ... ssh is designed so you can't get at people's passwords ... and moving ssh off port 22. ...
      (freebsd-questions)