Re: How to allow root to use POP3 from local network?

From: Volker Birk (bumens_at_dingens.org)
Date: 10/04/03

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 15:02:04 +0200

Fritz Whittington <f.whittington@att.net> wrote:
> Perhaps my original post was not completely clear.

Could be.

> (I'm using sendmail, BTW, but I don't think that matters.)

Oh, yes, it does. "Fix your mail system" then can be difficult ;-)

> And *local* mail delivery isn't the issue either.

Oh, yes, it is.

> I have spent quite a few hours RTFM, BTW also. And the
> question has to do with why I can't use Mozilla running on a
> Windows machine to connect to the POP3 server running on the
> Linux machine on the LAN and read mail that has been sent to
> root (mostly the output of cron jobs, since the entire domain
> is not known outside my house). Now, I can connect to the
> POP3 server and read mail for any ordinary Linux user, just
> not root.

Because it is not a good idea to read mail as root, perhaps the
creators of your POP3-server deny connections for root. And
that would be a good idea of them.

> Even more specifically, while *logged on as root on the Linux
> system console*, if I telnet to localhost 110, all users *except*
> root will authenticate just fine. Root fails to authenticate,
> even with the correct password.

We hope so.

Please forward your mail to an user account.

POP3 is an unencrypted protocol. Do not send your root password
using an unencrypted protocol. It is a good idea of the
programmers of your POP3-server not supporting that.

VB.

--
X-Pie Software GmbH
Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee