Re: Did I give up on telnet too easily?

From: Tim Haynes (usenet-20030925_at_stirfried.vegetable.org.uk)
Date: 09/25/03

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:30:30 +0100

Alan Connor <alanconnor@earthlink.net> writes:

>> He's right. Evidence of slap-handed "administration", quite possibly
>> because of a shitty negligent irresponsible attitude, abounds, and has done
>> for years. Under which rock have you been hiding not to notice the small
>> fact that GNU/Linux boxes are wormed every minute?
>>
>>> It is a VERY good idea if common sense is exercised.
>>
>> Yes, it is.
>
> And common sense tells me to go with my experience and those of others
> rather than than cute and empty rhetoric of paranoids.

Does it also suggest very subtly that maybe your so-called `paranoids'
might just conceivably have a little experience as well?

> Millions of people use telnet and other basic tcp/udp communications and
> exploration programs every day.

What on earth is an `exploration program'? More to the point, why are you
deviating from telnet/nc to `other basic tcp/udp communications', whatever
that may mean? ssh is a form of `basic tcp communiction', the way *I* look
at it.

> I am going to keep on using them.
>
> Run your own machines. I'd say "have fun", but paranoids don't know how
> to do that.

Sweeping generalisation alert.

~Tim

--
There's peat smoke rising                   |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
>From the village chimneys                   |http://spodzone.org.uk/cesspit/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Did I give up on telnet too easily?
    ... Under which rock have you been hiding not to notice the small ... Does it also suggest very subtly that maybe your so-called `paranoids' ... > exploration programs every day. ... deviating from telnet/nc to `other basic tcp/udp communications', ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Did I give up on telnet too easily?
    ... Under which rock have you been hiding not to notice the small ... Does it also suggest very subtly that maybe your so-called `paranoids' ... > exploration programs every day. ... deviating from telnet/nc to `other basic tcp/udp communications', ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Did I give up on telnet too easily?
    ... > rather than than cute and empty rhetoric of paranoids. ... > exploration programs every day. ... handling via ftp and telnet. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)