Re: file permission question

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_verizon.net)
Date: 09/10/03

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 03:03:21 GMT

Don Jvax wrote:

> I have a question relating to an emergency...
> On unixes, is there any way to access a file created by another user with
> permission 600?

Yes. Become root, and then you can read it. Or break in as the other
user by becoming root first, then becoming the other user.

Why do you ask?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: file permission question
    ... > On unixes, is there any way to access a file created by another user with ... > permission 600? ... Become root, and then you can read it. ... user by becoming root first, ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • RE: Does Scandisk MSG indicate Hardware, Application, or OS Issue? - R
    ... it is hard to find the root cause since the problem disappeared ... Based on my research, there are several reasons why the tab is missing, ... permission on the registry key ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: What are these for?
    ... can change it and root *is* a user. ... Since neither ls nor emacs is written to use polkit, ... Then polkit doesn't do me any good. ... the request and whether the user is allowed to give it that permission ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... However, being able to change the permission of a file does depend on who owns the file, and what permissions they have given to others over that file. ... You may have installed something as "root" that enables the program to "execute" as root. ... A server is part of the OS, not an standard application run by a user. ... admin account....but this could also be done in Windows etc etc....people just view windows as a "home" OS and most "home" users just don't want to deal with the fact that there are more than one way to protect yourself. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: user permission problems
    ... Subject: user permission problems ... set them up in the tcb and copied the kill command to their home dir. ... Here's my handy dandy asroot cookbook - see if you missed some steps: ... If you have special purpose logins to do things requiring root ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)