Re: Poor people's OS?

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_verizon.net)
Date: 09/07/03

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:20:08 GMT

Noi wrote:

> You are correct sir. The OP statement was Linux as the poor people's OS.
> I had thought about the worldly description of poor, no healthcare, no water,
> bare substanence, etc. but I chose say simply "if they use a PC at all".
>
> But IMO Linux is a worldwide project to create an open OS that enables
> vendors and software writers.

Well, yes. As an Os rather than as a kernel, it's a logical outgrowth of
Richard Stallman's and the Free Software Foundation's work to produce
publicly available operating systems.

The *result* is a serious cracking of the stranglehold Windows was
getting on the world's OS's, and a lot of really good tools being
written the same open way.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Poor peoples OS?
    ... > I had thought about the worldly description of poor, no healthcare, no water, ... > But IMO Linux is a worldwide project to create an open OS that enables ... > vendors and software writers. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Poor peoples OS?
    ... > I had thought about the worldly description of poor, no healthcare, no water, ... > But IMO Linux is a worldwide project to create an open OS that enables ... > vendors and software writers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)