Re: Getting a list of user group memberships

From: Mike Kent (mkent_at_acm.org)
Date: 08/14/03

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:24:34 -0400

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:32:04 +0200, Michal Wojciechowski wrote:

> xinli1@illinoisalumni.org (Xin Li) writes:
>
>> a similar procedure for linux. I was wondering if there are faster
>> ways of getting the group membership other than reading the entire
>> /etc/group file myself. Thanks in advance for any help rendered.
>>

> You might want to check out initgroups() and getgroups().

Both found by

        apropos groups

at the Linux command line BTW.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: To the Brotherhood of the Consoles (Warning contains Wibble)
    ... >Linux challenges you. ... >documentation, waiting for compiles, sifting through newsgroups & ... Instead of reading documentation ...
    (comp.sys.sinclair)
  • Re: Why questions dont get answered, or "No, Ive already RTFM, tell me the answer!"
    ... >> My first experience with Linux was when I bought a book about Linux that ... >> contained Red Hat 5. ... > command line before starting a program before reading other ... > while you may need the reference for obscure options later. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: whats wrong with tar? -need advise!
    ... because they were written by a geek who is ... > reading, ... > computer illiterate people I've turned on to Linux), ... Linux geeks keep criticizing Windows and don't understand why everyone ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux printf funny
    ... changeover has gone remarkably easily (considering that I know very ... or the tare value between instances that print and those that fail. ... There is the expected one-or-two bits wobble in the weight reading, ... ported them to new versions of compilers (windows or linux). ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: EOF and reading /proc
    ... actually I had thought of just reading one line too, ... read /proc and not worry about corrupted data. ... > You haven't said which OS, but it doesn't matter (looks like Linux?). ... > Don't use a generic loop unless you can control it to do what you ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)