Re: VPN, NAT and LDAP or FTP

From: René Matthäi (matthaei_at_gmx.de)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:02:23 +0200

Hello,

Xyerp wrote:

> Solution for what? What is it that you are trying to achieve? I cannot
> understand what you are trying to ask - anyone else?

Want to connect two NATed intranets with VPN GWs inside the intranets
"completely" transparently. At least FTP, LDAP, H.323 should work
without proxies. Moreover, there are road warriors connecting (even with
Pocket PCs or Symbian-based mobile devices).

I am looking for solutions that provide for the above. I have the
"impression" that this can only be done with (v)tun (resp. OpenVPN),
CIPE, tinc(??) or IPSec over L2TP (not L2TP over IPSec).

I think that such a setup is REALLY not to uncommon, is it?

René

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VPN, NAT and LDAP or FTP
    ... Xyerp wrote: ... Want to connect two NATed intranets with VPN GWs inside the intranets ... tincor IPSec over L2TP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: RRAS IPSec on W2003 Server behind NAT
    ... we would like to use L2TP ... While L2TP IPSec connections work fine behind the ... is directed to the RRAS server, IPSec Protocol passthrough and L2TP ... L2TP IPSec ports: ...
  • RE: IPSec = L2TP?
    ... IPSec is not L2TP, however L2TP can ride *on top* of IPSec. ... Any protocol can traverse IPSec, but it needs to be routed in order to ... different IP network to appear to be on the same network as others - and ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: L2TP over IPsec VPN and nat-t
    ... I had seen these articles and was hopeful that this would solve the problem, ... L2TP over IPSec is not supported with NAT Traversal. ... and that is why you can configure IPSec VPN tunnels ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: IPSec vs. IPSec/L2TP
    ... The reason people use L2TP is due the need to provide login mechanism ... logging and the rest of the session would be using IPSec. ... > L2TP/IPSec tunnelling instead of a good old IPSec tunnel. ... Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE ...
    (Security-Basics)