Linux Password Cracking

From: Crazy Coder (wi_at_rjsolutions.org)
Date: 08/06/03

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:10:29 -0400

I have some Linux systems and would like to check their passwords for
strength etc. Is there a good program for this?

Also I have a linux system that a co-worker fat-fingered the root password
on and now we cannot get in. Is there a remote program to crack the box?

Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Where do all the passwd get saved ?
    ... /etc/passwd is a system file that just lists accounts. ... In linux systems, the actual passwords are in /etc/shadow. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: RSA minimum keysize to defend against amateur attacks
    ... it is a bit like discussing salaries of a nation. ... the spread of strengths of passwords delivered (standard deviation say ... as an adjunct to the mean or the median strength. ... taking certain standard adversaries into account when choosing ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Password Cracking
    ... > finding written down passwords. ... up the words "strength" and "risk". ... The error I made was to state that the *strength* of a password depends ... scheme and the one the hacker generates passwords from. ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: WM password idiocy
    ... created passwords that passed their requirements- it seems you need at ... least one letter, one number and one punctuation character on WM6, ... but many websites cause the same problem- my stock trading site ... Todd4000, etc., depending on the strength "rules" I'm confronted with. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: RSA minimum keysize to defend against amateur attacks
    ... guessing a password we choose. ... the strength of the economy of a nation. ... matter if a scheme generates a bunch of really strong passwords if the most ...
    (sci.crypt)