Linux Password Cracking

From: Crazy Coder (wi_at_rjsolutions.org)
Date: 08/06/03

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:10:29 -0400

I have some Linux systems and would like to check their passwords for
strength etc. Is there a good program for this?

Also I have a linux system that a co-worker fat-fingered the root password
on and now we cannot get in. Is there a remote program to crack the box?

Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Where do all the passwd get saved ?
    ... /etc/passwd is a system file that just lists accounts. ... In linux systems, the actual passwords are in /etc/shadow. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Password Cracking
    ... > finding written down passwords. ... up the words "strength" and "risk". ... The error I made was to state that the *strength* of a password depends ... scheme and the one the hacker generates passwords from. ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: WM password idiocy
    ... created passwords that passed their requirements- it seems you need at ... least one letter, one number and one punctuation character on WM6, ... but many websites cause the same problem- my stock trading site ... Todd4000, etc., depending on the strength "rules" I'm confronted with. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: [security flaw] Ubuntu is a plain text offender
    ... Be warned that sometimes passwords are silently truncated to just a few bytes, accepting long passwords, but ignoring all the good entropy. ... The strength of a passphrase should be set according to how it is used, and that strength is fundamentally the number of random bits that went into it. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: password
    ... compared to some plain text passwords. ... What algorithms are used to ... determine the strength of a password, apart from plain text words in ...
    (Fedora)