Re: sending secure docs using imap??

From: Johan Mellberg (infoball_at_yahoo.se)
Date: 07/17/03

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:59:53 +0200

"DukeNM" <tridentadm@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:6b07a80.0307162306.3d3ce74e@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I would like to send some secure docs. over the net to users
> geographically seperated.
> how can i do so, so as to avoid evesdroping, scanning, sniffing of
> these docs ??
>
> i cant use pop mail since it has to be encrypted rite??
>
> what about imap ?? how secure is this
>
> like sending from
> hotmail to rediffmail

MAybe not the correct group for the question (?) but here's an answer
anyway.

Email is insecure, it's like sending a postcard through snailmail, meaning
that anyone handling it can read it if they bother. So you have two options,
either encrypt just the documents and send the encrypted versions, or you
can use email encryption to encrypt the whole email, including attachments.
The latter means using S/MIME or PGP. S/MIME is built into many email
clients and you can get personal certificates from for instance
www.thawte.com. PGP can be bought from www.pgp.com (windows and macos), and
there's an opensource implementation of the OpenPGP specification at
www.gnupg.org.

If you choose to encrypt just the docs in general don't use the builtin
functions, and neither should you use the encryption function provided for
zip archives. But your mileage may vary.

/Johan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sending secure docs using imap??
    ... >> I would like to send some secure docs. ... > can use email encryption to encrypt the whole email, ... The former means setting up an IMAPS server -- IMAP over SSL or IMAP ... The advantage here is that users only need to tell their mail client ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Encrypted partition solution for Windows OSes?
    ... is to encrypt the file, ... For Windows you have several ... choices, PGP, and GnuPG, as well as Guardbot for web based file transfers. ... files as drives, and aren't terribly interesting. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... We have a very similar solution, but we use X.509v3 instead of PGP. ... was to create a symmetric key that would be used to encrypt/decrypt all data ... generated for each data element and then the public key is used to encrypt ... We use our X.509v3 certs to do the client and server authentication. ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: Might Be OT: Thanks for your time
    ... > So let's say you and I both use PGP to exchange email. ... > it with my secret key and encrypt it with your public key. ... > So you check the signature with PGP using my public key. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Betr.: RE: encryption
    ... I would encrypt it gnupg/pgp.. ... >Up to a few years ago PGP and encryption was an hot item. ... >Dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. ... >de afzender en de informatie te verwijderen van iedere computer. ...
    (Security-Basics)