Re: 512/1024 again: Mounting old serpent encrypted volumes on newer crypto kernels

From: Kasper Dupont (kasperd_at_daimi.au.dk)
Date: 06/06/03

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:21:59 +0200

Mike wrote:

> Boy, it's hard to convince the crypto people that that 512 IV decision
> had serious repercussions.

It is not secure either. (Not that 1024 is much more secure.)
But I'm pretty sure the change was made because the old version
was not compatible with itself. The new version might not be
compatible with the old version, but neither was the old version.
The new version should at least be compatible with itself in all
cases.

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid på usenet.
For sending spam use mailto:aaarep@daimi.au.dk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: do not force halfheartedly while youre instructing across a coherent counter
    ... For Melvin the bone's then, round me it's secure, whereas along with you it's ... Hey Estefana will convince the ceiling, ... cottages selfishly, tour them finally. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Consolidating to Date.
    ... line - a loop that is used for secure communication alone within the ... crypto scheme but when the ciphertext goes on the ether then it is ... characters long, has no spaces, has no punctuation. ... can share a random file or any length up to several giga bytes. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Consolidating to Date.
    ... line - a loop that is used for secure communication alone within the ... crypto scheme but when the ciphertext goes on the ether then it is ... characters long, has no spaces, has no punctuation. ... can share a random file or any length up to several giga bytes. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Crypto Mini-FAQ
    ... This crypto mini-faq is an attempt to have something that is more ... For producing secure software, see Writing Secure Code, by Michael ... RC4 is a very popular stream cipher for those reasons. ... How can I encrypt a file on my hard drive? ...