Re: Zunehmende Anzahl, zum teil wirklich widerlicher Spamm-Mails

From: saki (saki_at_spamgone.com)
Date: 05/23/03

Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:06:47 +0100

On Fri, 23 May 2003 18:55:13 +0000, William wrote:

> International and English don't go together. If you can't learn another
> language, or even attempt to translate it, then ignore it. So, becuase
> this is an international newsgroup, english is the choice language. You
> make it sound like English runs the world.

I am sorry, to disagree because I am an admirer of the German language and
of many German virtues (for the expression of which admiration I have,
paradoxically, been criticised by Germans in other contexts), but this
newsgroup has an English name and the established language of discourse is
quite plainly English. It is as discourteous (by which I mean *very*
discourteous), to conduct a private discussion here in German as it would
be to to do so in the midst of any pubic meeting of interested people, the
vast majority of whom have no wish or reason to learn your language.

Saki

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Learning a language
    ... >> Vineyard can be used as a model to the fact that a separate pidgin English ... The speakers of a language, any language, ... > The Second Sound Shift today plays an important role in distinguishing one ... > local variety of German from another, ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Review of Art of Assembly Language
    ... But English is the stated and agreed "Lingua Franca" on the ... there the policy is that posts should be German language and even if ... to characterise nationalities in such a monochrome fashion...as was my ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Is there an optimal sequence for language acquisition?
    ... She could only speak Italian. ... > speak to her in English, ... I learnt that this girl was going to learn German ... Most people would understand both and speak a mixed language. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Learning a language
    ... > Vineyard can be used as a model to the fact that a separate pidgin English ... The speakers of a language, any language, ... Different vernacular norms ... local variety of German from another, ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]
    ... > Which is also one reason why English is a successful Lingua Franca ... The English language is, apart from it's Romance admixture, widely ... "Frisia non cantat, Frisia ratiocinatur" (Frisia doesn't ... the German language had been split up into various ...
    (Debian-User)