Possible security issue with missing files

From: Andrew Webb (andrew.webb_at_not-here.eme-med.co.uk)
Date: 05/08/03

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 14:22:52 +0100

Hi,

    We I have a server that is low on disk space in /var - the output of
'df -h' is

[root@eme-uk-its1 var]# df -h
/dev/rd/c0d0p6 496M 263M 208M 56% /
/dev/rd/c0d0p1 97M 32M 60M 35% /boot
/dev/rd/c0d0p5 3.8G 36M 3.5G 1% /home
none 251M 0 250M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/rd/c0d0p2 10G 4.0G 5.8G 41% /usr
/dev/rd/c0d0p7 1008M 788M 169M 83% /var

If I run 'du -H' I get

... (listings for the dirs and sizes)
125MB .

This shows a usage of 125 MB whereas df shows 788MB in use ? Is there some
security issue here on file permissions that might be causing this
difference in value ?

Thanks

Andrew

Relevant Pages

  • Re: unspected shutdown. TCP attack?
    ... original debugging environment and see what is causing that problem. ... be your program has a bug that is bringing down the tcp/ip stack and causing ... >> I'll also hit one thing you may not have checked, in your local security ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: unspected shutdown. TCP attack?
    ... original debugging environment and see what is causing that problem. ... be your program has a bug that is bringing down the tcp/ip stack and causing ... >> I'll also hit one thing you may not have checked, in your local security ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: IE 6.0
    ... Disable any installed BHOs to see if one of them is causing the problem. ... Also note the security tips and other important information on that page. ... A legitimate program running in the background may be causing this. ... You may have to reinstall, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Top 15 Reasons Why Admins Use Security Scan ners
    ... printout of the file permissions of every file on every system. ... They insisted on a printout. ... Top 15 Reasons Why Admins Use Security ... Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Error convert applying security template
    ... and lock down security. ... I belive this template replaces the file permissions. ... Unable to establish connection with global catalog. ... >> security template as follows. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)