Re: nmap question

From: Torsten Kaiser (torsten.kaiser_at_pcdweb.de)
Date: 05/08/03

Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 05:30:00 +0200

Hello Ryan,

eleKtron wrote:

> as i shoud, i get the response (IE:)"Host (10.1.10.13) appears to be
> down, skipping it." for IP's not being used and the correct response
> of (IE:)"Host (10.1.10.15) appears to be up ... good." (and then it
> goes on with it's results for all the ports in that IP)

Since you use this in a cronjob anyway, I'd propose you perform fping over
the address room to narrow down the pool of active IPs. On these you then
perform nmap for your report.

If you want to avoid machines slipping through between fping and nmap, then
generate the given IP-range in some kind of loop and do the fping as a
decision whether or not to perform nmap on it.

HTH
Torsten

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AW: Re: nmap -sS SYN-SCAN does not find all open Ports?
    ... Network Security Engineer and Analyst ... that there is actually no problem with nmap. ... ports that are not listed by nmap are in state closed. ... Could it somehow be related to my backend firewall? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Nmap questions for the experts
    ... nmap has its own mailing lists, you can find those on insecure.org. ... Do you really use nmap before running nessus? ... Only open ports will be fed to ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: nmap udp scan takes too long
    ... I am looking for a tool like nmap that would help me penetrate a filter port. ... But unicornscan beats nmap as it comes to udp scanning. ... Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate ... Open and filtered ports rarely send any kind ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: nmap port name question?
    ... does nmap get the name of the port from my /etc/services, ... would report that those ports probably correspond to a mail server ... 49152/tcp open unknown syn-ack ... 49153, msrpc ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Is my home computer at risk knowing that nmap says...
    ... Arizona) and saw that his firewall was DROPing connections to unused ... ports - including two ports that nmap scans by default. ... you responded to shows a reasonable response based on a minimal test ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)