Re: TCPA FOR LINUX

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@verizon.net)
Date: 04/25/03

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:20:58 GMT

Alessandro Selli wrote:
> Il giorno Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Nico Kadel-Garcia cosė ha scritto:
>
> |From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@verizon.net>
> |Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:38:50 GMT
> |Subject: Re: TCPA FOR LINUX

> |> |
> |> |
> |> |

> |> http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/03/01/17/1430214.shtml?tid=3D
> |>
> |> This interview with Brian Richardson, AMI BIOS developper, gives many good
> |> insights into what TCPA is and is _not_. And, those who think that TCPA is
> |> incompatible with free software, please read the following:
> |>
> |> http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/
> |
> |I caught Peter LaMacchia's talk on Palladium at MIT.
>
> [...]
>
> |1: Palladium is Microsoft's attempt to head off things like TCPA and
>
> [...]
>
> |2: Palladium is designed to provide encryption and oh-my-ghod-especially
>
> All of which is very interesting, if only you would have noticed that it was
> TCPA and _not_ palladium the topic. TCPA != palladium. I'm totally against
> palladium, but I'd like to have a TCPA-enabled Linuc-PC both home and at work.
> And the good news is, I can have it. And I can have it free, both free as in
> free speech and free as in free beer. Did you notice this?
> http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/:
> "This package contains full source code for a Linux device driver for the TCPA
> chip, released under the GPL."

Sorry, I was drawing a parallel between the potential corporate goals of
new encryption/policy tools and where they may lead to if we're not
*really*, *really* careful.

Full source code is not the problem: I can have the full source code to
any hardware/software encryption tool, but if they
perhaps-some-day-in-the-future follow the Palladium model of running it
at level 0 along with the kernel, with hardware to match, emulation and
interchangable hardware/software packages will be lost.

I just want people to be cautious: my message apparently got lost in the
ranting on my part.