Linksys BEFSX41 firewall/router & Linux?

From: John Brock (jbrock@panix.com)
Date: 04/24/03

From: jbrock@panix.com (John Brock)
Date: 24 Apr 2003 17:21:27 -0400

I have just signed up for Verizon DSL (cross fingers, whisper
prayer...), but I don't want a broadband connection without a good
firewall. I currently run Windows NT and OS/2 (yes, I am a dinosaur),
and I plan to run Linux as well, so a hardware firewall would seem
to make the most sense.

>From what I gather there should be no trouble using the Linksys
BEFSX41 firewall/router with Linux or other non-MS OSes, since the
interface is web based. Still, Linksys only claims compatibility
with Windows, so I thought I would check and see if others were
using it with Linux, and if there were any showstopping problems.
Any comments? And is there anything better (within a reasonable
price range) that I should be looking at instead?

Also, the spec sheet says that the BEFSX41 supports PPPoE, which
is what I believe Verizon uses. Does this relieve the OS of any
responsibility for supporting PPPoE? I would rather not have to
install any special PPPoE software on my PC, and would prefer to
connect to the router via vanilla TCP/IP. If I get the BEFSX41
can I do this? And can I avoid installing Verizon's software on
my PC and use the router to configure the DSL modem? (Does that
even make sense? I'm still not real clear on all this; I just want
my DSL connection to be as OS agnostic as possible).

--
John Brock
jbrock@panix.com