Linksys BEFSX41 firewall/router & Linux?

From: John Brock (jbrock@panix.com)
Date: 04/24/03

From: jbrock@panix.com (John Brock)
Date: 24 Apr 2003 17:21:27 -0400

I have just signed up for Verizon DSL (cross fingers, whisper
prayer...), but I don't want a broadband connection without a good
firewall. I currently run Windows NT and OS/2 (yes, I am a dinosaur),
and I plan to run Linux as well, so a hardware firewall would seem
to make the most sense.

>From what I gather there should be no trouble using the Linksys
BEFSX41 firewall/router with Linux or other non-MS OSes, since the
interface is web based. Still, Linksys only claims compatibility
with Windows, so I thought I would check and see if others were
using it with Linux, and if there were any showstopping problems.
Any comments? And is there anything better (within a reasonable
price range) that I should be looking at instead?

Also, the spec sheet says that the BEFSX41 supports PPPoE, which
is what I believe Verizon uses. Does this relieve the OS of any
responsibility for supporting PPPoE? I would rather not have to
install any special PPPoE software on my PC, and would prefer to
connect to the router via vanilla TCP/IP. If I get the BEFSX41
can I do this? And can I avoid installing Verizon's software on
my PC and use the router to configure the DSL modem? (Does that
even make sense? I'm still not real clear on all this; I just want
my DSL connection to be as OS agnostic as possible).

--
John Brock
jbrock@panix.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Unknown Program Starting
    ... Do you have an "always on" broadband connection? ... Install ZoneAlarm or any good firewall that checks outward bound traffic ... >I am running Windows MCE, ... it just appears in the taskbar and steals focus from whatever ...
  • Re: Linksys BEFSX41 firewall/router & Linux?
    ... but I don't want a broadband connection without a good ... and I plan to run Linux as well, so a hardware firewall would seem ... is what I believe Verizon uses. ... the router to configure the DSL modem? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How to remote access Windows XP Pro computer?
    ... Windows XP pro PC at home using DSL to connect to the internet(a ... firewall is sitting between the DSL and my home PC. ... router's port 3389 / 5900 is open? ...
  • disconnection problem
    ... I use Defender, and windows ... firewall. ... I notice my broadband connection keeps dropping out and with the ...
  • Re: DSL unter SuSe 11.1
    ... wie richtet man in Suse 11.1 eine DSL-Verbindung ein? ... auch an der Firewall was ändern? ... Es geht um die "dsl + flatrate" von set.net. Von Herstellerseite wird ... die Du unter Windows bekommst? ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)