Establishing a site-to-site ipsec connection

From: John Maher (jmaher@myrealbox-nospam.com)
Date: 04/24/03

From: "John Maher" <jmaher@myrealbox-nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:54:36 -0400

So many threads talk about the iptables issues of establishing an ipsec
connection between a client behind an iptables firewall and a VPN site, but
can anyone direct me to documentation explaining what applications are used
to negotiate an ipsec connection and how to establish a connection? I would
like to establish a site-to-site ipsec connection, with my Linux iptables
firewall being one of the sites. I know how to open the firewall for the
ports and protocols, but what app do I use to negotiate the ipsec
connection?

Thanks in advance.

John