Re: dsniff cannot see connections

From: muesli (mmuessig@multamedio.de)
Date: 04/14/03

From: muesli <mmuessig@multamedio.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:09:42 +0200

Thomas Neumann wrote:

> Hello Gad,
>
> have you enabled ip_forwarding? (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ip...)
> Try to type dsniff -i eth0.
>
> Thomas
>
> Gad wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use dsniff to sniff my own lan.
>>
>> However, it doesn't see _anything_, even when I'm
>> busy telnetting/ftping/whatever from the machine I'm
>> sniffing on to the other machine.
>>
>> Both machines are connected via ethernet, and dsniff
>> is listening to device eth0.
>> The version is 2.4b1 and I'm running Debian unstable.
>>
>> Also, can dsniff sniff ppp connections? It seems to only handle
>> ethernet.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gad

hi gad,
IMHO ip_forwarding has nothing to do with captuing packets with dsniff.
of course it is necessary, if you want your router to provide inter-
net connectivity for your local lan, but if he gets connected success-
full via telnet between two lan-clients, network works fine!
for problems connecting to internet this would be important to check!

correct me, if i am wrong!

greetings, müsli

Markus Müssig                      MULTA MEDIO Informationssysteme AG
                                               Mergentheimer Str. 76a
                                                       97082 Würzburg
mailto:mmuessig@multamedio.de                Tel: +49 (0)931 79717- 0
http://www.multamedio.de                     Fax: +49 (0)931 79717-30