Re: dsniff cannot see connections

From: muesli (mmuessig@multamedio.de)
Date: 04/14/03

From: muesli <mmuessig@multamedio.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:59:02 +0200

Gad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use dsniff to sniff my own lan.
>
> However, it doesn't see _anything_, even when I'm
> busy telnetting/ftping/whatever from the machine I'm
> sniffing on to the other machine.
>
> Both machines are connected via ethernet, and dsniff
> is listening to device eth0.
> The version is 2.4b1 and I'm running Debian unstable.
>
> Also, can dsniff sniff ppp connections? It seems to only handle
> ethernet.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Gad

hi gad,
i have the same problem, but i think it's ok like that!
1. man dsniff says, that the output-format is a berkeley-db-formatted
file
2. even if i used the -w parameter and specified a file to write
outputs in, the file was cryptic, seemed even binary and not readable

so for that reasons it obviously normal that dsniff does no output on
standardoutput (console...)

if i am wrong, please tell me. for so far i think it's ok what we
saw (nothin' :-) )!

best greetings from würzburg, müsli

Markus Müssig                      MULTA MEDIO Informationssysteme AG
                                               Mergentheimer Str. 76a
                                                       97082 Würzburg
mailto:mmuessig@multamedio.de                Tel: +49 (0)931 79717- 0
http://www.multamedio.de                     Fax: +49 (0)931 79717-30

Relevant Pages

  • Re: dsniff cannot see connections
    ... > Gad wrote: ... >> I'm trying to use dsniff to sniff my own lan. ... can dsniff sniff ppp connections? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: dsniff cannot see connections
    ... muesli wrote: ... >>Hello Gad, ... > IMHO ip_forwarding has nothing to do with captuing packets with dsniff. ... > net connectivity for your local lan, but if he gets connected success- ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • dsniff cannot see connections
    ... I'm trying to use dsniff to sniff my own lan. ... Both machines are connected via ethernet, ... can dsniff sniff ppp connections? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: dsniff cannot see connections
    ... Try to type dsniff -i eth0. ... Gad wrote: ... > I'm trying to use dsniff to sniff my own lan. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)