Re: FreeS/WAN from behind NAT

From: luke (luke@s-mail.com)
Date: 04/02/03

From: luke@s-mail.com (luke)
Date: 2 Apr 2003 05:02:21 -0800

Dan Smith <dsmith@danplanet.com> wrote in message news:<m3ptobdql3.fsf@danlt.danplanet.com>...
> Can someone answer a question for me?
>
> I want to use FreeS/WAN to connect two linux machines across the 'Net.
> The machines are behind NATing firewalls. I can control every aspect
> of the firewalls, but I can't reboot or disconnect them easily. The
> ultimate goal is to have both of the target machines become the
> NAT/Firewall/Router for their respective networks, but for testing
> purposes, I would like to experiment with two machines behind the
> currently working setup (with private IPs).
>
> Real question: Can I VPN from one to the other by forwarding the
> correct ports?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Dan

Hi,

Could not give you the details, but I belive that ipsec will drop up
any packets that have been altered by a router. There may well be a
way round this. Google around, but find out first before investing
lots of time.

Luke

Relevant Pages

  • FreeS/WAN from behind NAT
    ... I want to use FreeS/WAN to connect two linux machines across the 'Net. ... The machines are behind NATing firewalls. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: FreeS/WAN from behind NAT
    ... luke wrote: ... >> The machines are behind NATing firewalls. ... I can control every aspect ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Cant talk between VPNd client and Linux server.
    ... This forum is for Windows Firewall Discussion. ... Linux boxes don't know where to send packets to the VPN client's subnet ... > These machines are all running on the same departmental level subnet. ... > two linux machines, I can do the same from any local windows client. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Problem with Linux Machines Request for Time from an XP Machine
    ... > Two machines are on my local network: solarblast, an XP Pro machine with SP2 ... NTP servers do NOT come ... Quite probably unless you set up NTP server software on the XP machine. ... Make your XP machine into a router for your linux machines. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: provision and patch management solutions for 100s of Linux machines
    ... >> provision and manage several hundred Linux machines. ... Yum works like a charm with RH enterprise, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)