Re: newbie network question

From: Gonzalo Seriche Vega (fliaserichevega@entelchile.net)
Date: 03/25/03

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:50:10 -0400
From: Gonzalo Seriche Vega <fliaserichevega@entelchile.net>

uhmmmmmmm
why you use the linux as gateway and set up the firewall (iptables) of
the linux ? i consider Linux more Safety than XP, and the Norton
Internet Security for me isn't the best way to block intrusion.

Alien Brain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Windows XP server with a modem accessing the internet. I have
> Norton Internet Security as the firewall. My linux server has the XP box as
> a gateway so it can access the internet through the PC.
>
> What is the best way to ensure that nothing nasty can happen to the server.
> I am really only interested in allowing the Linux machine to update itself
> rather than web browsing which I would use the PC for.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The PPP negotiation failed, coz serial loopback was detected
    ... as their default gateway to the world. ... modem in the print-server, and it is configured and ready to connect to ... In the case of the Linux ... id10t is going to use a ppp setup to _bypass_ the company firewall). ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: The PPP negotiation failed, coz serial loopback was detected
    ... both PC's HAVE the same PCI modem ... I'm not using XP's firewall. ... And using Linux on the other PC, ... as their default gateway to the world. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Mandrake 10, gateway/firewall setup HOWTO?
    ... setup a gateway & firewall on my mandrake 10 box. ... Just to get the Linux box to forward packets. ... After I get the above working, I can play around with firewall, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: xp security
    ... > Running On Internet Gateway' mode selected) holding the fort. ... > like to change the firewall to WinRoute Firewall 5 from Kerio, ... Would I gain anything by using that linux box as a gateway PC and adding ... I have an F-secure firewall running on the XP box, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Surely an easy firewall to setup?
    ... > Despite my best efforts with the 'Linux Firewalls' book, ... > Windows Client Linux Server Gateway ... would be a good idea to put a firewall on the gateway. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)