Re: Port 445 hits

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@verizon.net)
Date: 03/11/03

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:22:08 GMT

Jem Berkes wrote:
>>Why's that "wow"? The Morris Internet worm had a list of passwords to
>>try, and that was what? 15 years ago now?
>

> I'm surprised such a simple attack isn't hardcoded into more worms,
> actually surprised to hear that the last one was 15 years ago :) But wasn't
> it easier back then anyway? Like only the first 8 characters of the
> password actually mattered right?

This is still the case in Linux systems in certain cross-platform NIS
environments. (Don't get me going on this!)

Relevant Pages

  • [Full-Disclosure] Mydoom DDoS attack time table
    ... In my post from the 30th of January with the subject: "Refuting ... we released an analysis of the Mydoom worms DoS mechanism, ... You can find a _time_table _for when the DDoS attack will happen, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Computer Virus Writers at War, Security Firm Says
    ... recent days are starting to attack each other, Finnish software security ... firm F-Secure said on Wednesday. ... new worms at an alarming rate, as if they were competing to build the ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Mydoom DDoS attack time table
    ... In my post from the 30th of January with the subject: "Refuting ... we released an analysis of the Mydoom worms DoS mechanism, ... You can find a _time_table _for when the DDoS attack will happen, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Mydoom DDoS attack time table
    ... In my post from the 30th of January with the subject: "Refuting ... we released an analysis of the Mydoom worms DoS mechanism, ... You can find a _time_table _for when the DDoS attack will happen, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Mydoom DDoS attack time table
    ... In my post from the 30th of January with the subject: "Refuting ... we released an analysis of the Mydoom worms DoS mechanism, ... You can find a _time_table _for when the DDoS attack will happen, ...
    (comp.security.misc)