Re: Please enable firewalls by default on Linux distributions

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: 03/08/03

    From: erik@zoneedit.com (Erik Aronesty)
    Date: 8 Mar 2003 07:34:53 -0800

    That's silly.

    You too can join class action contributory negligence lawsuits for fun
    and profit.

    Hving default security settings for software is like having seat-belts
    in cars or safetys on guns. It was the cost - not the technology -
    that kept them from being installed until it became a crisis.

    Plus, safe guns and cars aren't as cool as unsafe ones.

    I can't imagine that that's the case for Linux.

    Most of Linux comes with dozens of resource-limits turned on. Why?
    To keep the O/S from being too easily compromised.

    An unskilled user can't exceed the max-filehandles, or whatever, and
    cause the O/S to crash. A skilled user can increase these limits and
    "push" his machines performance-edge, etc.

    Only the network comes with "allow everying" as the default
    distribution.

    I imagine it was left out, not because it's a good idea to leave it
    out, but just because no one thought if it.