Re: Mandrake & CERT advisories

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@verizon.net)
Date: 03/05/03

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:54:15 GMT

Bill Unruh wrote:
> Vlad Tsyrklevich <root@127.0.0.1> writes:
>
> ]Because Mandrake announces it's own stuff on BugTraq? Because they never
> ]asked? Because they don't want people to see if they are vulnerable or
> ]not?
>
> Because none of us know what you are talking about??
> Mandrake is a Linux and thus suffers from the problems of linux.
> Mandrake does not use a number of programs (eg sendmail) which have had
> bugs.
>
> (PS, CERT is a US service, and Mandrake is a French company. It is
> perhaps not approached by CERT?)

It's because Mandrake does not cooperate with CERT in allowing
announcements of vulnerabilities. The distributions listed by CERT as
having vulnerabilities are almost always *voluntary*. This lends a false
air of security to Mandrake.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mandrake & CERT advisories
    ... ]Because Mandrake announces it's own stuff on BugTraq? ... Mandrake is a Linux and thus suffers from the problems of linux. ... (PS, CERT is a US service, and Mandrake is a French company. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Why is Linux so slow?
    ... I finally returned it to Mandrake, ... Any programs I have for both Windows and Linux ... capability of utilizing the VGA chip to its limits. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: which linux to use for a 4 year old laptop??
    ... :> get familiar with Linux and try some GIS software on it before I ... Linux for quite sometime now, using Red Hat as new as 7.3, Mandrake as new ... and now I use SuSE. ... Red Hat wasn't bad at all. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: What are the differences in Linux distributions?
    ... I have seen different distribution of Linux, Red hat, Debian, ... Mandrake tries to make things easy for the home user to install. ... SUSE I know little about, but some people like it a lot. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: whats the easiest to use linux?
    ... > Mandrake took less than an hour to install and automagically recognized ... > wanted on Win that's not included with Windows like it is with most Linux ... Ok, for me, windows xp, i install it, install mobo drivers from motherboard ...
    (alt.os.linux)