Re: How secure is secure?

From: David (
Date: 02/28/03

From: David <>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:50:27 GMT

Rishi Gangoly wrote:
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s -j MASQUERADE
> /sbin/route add -net netmask gw
> /sbin/route add -net netmask gw
> Am I secure from hackers or should I still be worried about beefing up
> security with added rules using iptables?
> Is it safe to assume that if there aren't any services running on a
> computer, then that means I am 100% secure?

I would say that if those couple of lines is all you have for a
firewall that you need to do some more work on it or maybe take a
look at Arno's IPTABLES scripts at if you want a
very functional script.

Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with the Linux Counter.
Slackware 9.0-beta Linux 2.4.20tbls i686 (GCC) 3.2.2
Uptime: 8 days, 9:07, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.15, 1.49

Relevant Pages

  • cant get to some web sites?
    ... I am running debian testing with 2.4.9 and iptables for security. ... been having problems to get to some web sites (more often to the secure ...
  • default iptables rules
    ... I am relatively new to both Ubuntu and Linux, and I'm trying to figure out ... I've read a bit about iptables, and know how to add rules. ... PS - my current iptables set up is accept all: not very secure ...
  • Re: Free Firewall for W2K Server
    ... don't they use some iptables stuff and use the IP stack or something =) ... > Download the iso for Smoothwall or ipcop and run it up in one of your old ... More secure than any wintel firewall garbage around. ...
  • Re: linux newbie: how to stop port scan abuse?
    ... I would recommend converting to the IPTABLES firewall and from there create ... There is a script you can use that the author provides. ... >> tried to keep it as secure as possible. ...
  • Re: are IPTABLES good enough security for a webserver
    ... >> Will IPTABLES act as a secure enough firewall for a web server or should I ... > webserver in a way that would be secure even without any firewall. ...