Re: Port Scans and Prelude

From: Robert Tinsley (rjt@please.follow-up.to.group)
Date: 02/27/03

From: "Robert Tinsley" <rjt@please.follow-up.to.group>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:19:21 +0000

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:03:23 -0500, David D. Huff Jr. wrote:
> Robert Tinsley wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:57:09 -0500, David D. Huff Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>Hmm, why would their DNS be hitting different ports?
>>
>> because the client will generally send different requests from different ports.
>>

> Oh, come now, look at the ports he mentioned "1101 to 11136".

uhhh... yeah... and?

--
rjt at thzpoachzr dot nzt (replace "z"s with "e"s)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: expose internal network to the outside world
    ... Maybe you can add an ipaddress int the table with the trigger ports? ... > ssh requests to the two local machines. ... > where external requests on particular ports are forwarded by the router ... > local machine). ...
    (Debian-User)
  • expose internal network to the outside world
    ... ssh requests to the two local machines. ... where external requests on particular ports are forwarded by the router ... local machine). ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Router/Firewall Port Mapping Question
    ... The external host at IPh1 sees requests ... > same localport/IP combo is it safe to assume that the router will map ... The router doesn't determine/choose the ports. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: XPsp2 - firewall enable/disable based on net
    ... That's why you configure exceptions for the local IP address range. ... requests from other addresses will be denied. ... > Ports must be available for sms and other software while on corporate ...
  • Re: Need a port listen simulator
    ... You could setup a software filewall on your home machine and tell it to log ... but also blocks outgoing request that are not ... I need to find out what ports are available ... > on my computer at home and have it answer *ALL* port requests so I know ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)