Features for a monitoring tool

From: Felinux (felinux@supereva.it)
Date: 02/16/03

From: Felinux <felinux@supereva.it>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:19:08 GMT

Hello, world.
I am writing a C/C++ client/server monitoring tool for Linux. It's just a
hobby, and it's still on the starting grid (client and server sum up to
about 300 lines). The rough (and certainly not original) idea is: you run
the server on a host you want to remotely keep an eye on, then you run the
client on your, say, home workstation. The client will poll the server once
every N seconds (authenticating with a password) and log data sent in
response. At the moment, the password is stored in a config file on the
server and is sent clear-text by the client, but I will encrypt it in the
near future. The reason I am writing this is I have no idea what exactly
the data sent by the server should be. To get to the point(s):
1) what info do you think are REALLY critical to have a useful snapshot of
the situation of a typical server?
2) what features would YOU like to see on such a tool?

I would love to have some advice: I am really getting into this thingy and I
would like to share it with the community as soon as it gets usable (no
segfaults, no obvious vulnerabilities, encryption...)

Bye...

< felinux at supereva dot it>

>From The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
true: utility to do nothing, successfully

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What doesnt lend itself to OO?
    ... >> proxy and instructs the server to constuct the real object. ... rather than client code. ... If 'clock' is instantiated in the server, ... > for the server interface at the OOA level. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: More Get-IPlayer Questions
    ... to use with mutt mail client. ... antinat - 0.90-4 - Antinat is a flexible SOCKS server and client ... protocol for Sybase or MS SQL Server. ... ifstat - 1.1-1 - InterFace STATistics Monitoring ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • This is going straight to the pool room
    ... or not the client has privilege to do what they're trying to do, ... The server environment is this: ... 3GL User action Routines that Tier3 will execute on your behalf during the ... Routine Name: USER_INIT ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • [Full-Disclosure] R: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 3, Issue 42
    ... Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 3, Issue 42 ... SD Server 4.0.70 Directory Traversal Bug ... Arkeia Network Backup Client Remote Access ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: What doesnt lend itself to OO?
    ... > rather than client code. ... no way to do that without also touching the object with clock semantics ... will not encapsulate both clock semantics and network semantics. ... The server can do whatever it wants ...
    (comp.object)