Re: Secure FTP Lin -> Win

From: Jem Berkes (jb@users.pc9.org)
Date: 02/09/03

From: Jem Berkes <jb@users.pc9.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:17:31 GMT

> I am trying to find a way of securely accessing files on a Linux
> server, using MS windows as a client - without using any special
> software on Windows. At present I have a linux FTP server which does
> the job but is not secure. All of the docs I've read use SSH, but you
> need SSH software on the windows client, which is a pain.

I know what you mean about the inconvenience factor, but you're talking
about a secure protocol instead of an insecure one (FTP is plaintext,
insecure). So you will have to use some sort of "new" program.

The best thing to do would be to run OpenSSH on your linux server
(available in pretty much every distro) with the sftp subsystem enabled.
This is secure ftp.

SSH isn't really that hard to do on the Windows side. I really like the
Windows secure file transer program from SSH.com. I use their free, non-
commercial version for my university work:

http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html

Definitely check that out. The software is easy to use, and will work
with your linux server running OpenSSH.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.pc-tools.net/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: Question about Red Hat Linux Enterprise
    ... we have is running Windows 2000 Server ... Luckily running Apache + MySQL on a Linux system is not a lot ... MySQL database and injecting it back into the MySQL installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Sweet Success
    ... Let's continue to assume that I prefer Windows to anything else: ... neither Linux nor Windows may be the answer. ... While it may well be initially less expensive to install a Linux-based ... of Linux simultaneously, along with Windows Server, AIX, and OS/400. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] 70 million computers are using Windows 98 right now
    ... Linux is definitely not a natural migration pathway. ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS X seem to work pretty ... > desktop to server. ... But then the persons across the sea just can't install ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Benutzerkontenverwaltung mit Win 2003 Server - Teil 2
    ... und dann bin ich über Solaris zur ersten 30-Disketten-Version Linux ... Server auch keine grafische Oberfläche, der vi ist halt mein bester ... Und das ganze geht schon in Ansätzen seit Windows NT so ... > Unternehmensnetzwerk unter Unix administrieren könnte. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windows.server.networking)