Re: Kazaa & iptables

From: Ole Victor (ole.victor@email.dk)
Date: 01/12/03

From: "Ole Victor" <ole.victor@email.dk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:29:14 +0100

Hi,

Thank you everyone for all your advice!

I am reading the Linux Advanced Routing HOWTO, but
it will take some time for me, since I'm not to experienced.

What is "man LART"?

Sincerely,
Ole Victor

"Ole Victor" <ole.victor@email.dk> skrev i meddelandet
> Hello,
>
> We have a LAN in our house (30 apts.). The LAN is connected to internet
> through a firewall (iptables).
>
> The purpose of this is to get a cheap internet connection for all of us
for
> surfing and emailing, but not
> for setting up public servers.
>
> I therefore block everything incomming but established connections.
>
> Now it turns out that someone continuosly sends a lot of data out from our
> network. My switch
> tells me he/she sends much more than receiving. I suspect that Kazaa or
> something simular is running
> on that machine. It is annoying because we have an ADSL 2Mbit/512Kbit,
made
> for primarily
> incomming traffic.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is it possible to run Kazaa-like p2p communications though I have
blocked
> all incomming but established?
> 2. Is it possible for me to stop Kazaa-like communication (outgoing) with
> iptables?
> 2. Can I instead of stopping it completely, restrict outgoing bandwidth
for
> this kind of activity?
>
> I would be greatful for all advice.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ole Victor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FOAK - Dongles
    ... broadband via a Dongle rather than land line based, ... basically, I could do with some advice on what type, which provider ... The speed of the connection will never be as good as broadband - the top speed of the HSDPA standard is 7.2 Mbps, but that's under laboratory conditions, and many providers only support 1.8Mbps end-to-end over the network, no matter how good your connection to the mast. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Ads problem
    ... My personal view is that, common as that advice is, it's terrible advice. ... to the internet, regardless of how that connection (dial-up, dsl, cable, ... than most dial-up users risk, ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ie7 crashes in School Website Only
    ... Thanks for the advice, however my computer situation has become worse, ie7 ... The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. ... This is the only website I have with this ...
  • Re: will this work on a network?
    ... You sent similar advice on two subjects: ... with your connection ... >advise me of your problem so I can response correctly. ... >Before trying to remove spyware using the programs ...
  • Re: where in registry can i change internet options: general & connect
    ... > where in registry can i change internet options: ... would appreciate advice and pointer. ... and lan settings in connection tab both of which has been ...