Re: Antivirus suggested for Linux?

From: Erik de Castro Lopo (nospam@mega-nerd.com)
Date: 01/11/03

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <nospam@mega-nerd.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:11:21 GMT

Brian Keener wrote:

> On all of my Windows-based desktops, I have anti-virus software installed.
>
> I have yet to see (in my limited Linux experience) suggestions to install any
> sort of anti-virus software for Linux.

Thats because there are close to zero virii that attack Linux.

> CentralCommand.com has an anti=virus
> product called Vexira available, but is this really necessary?

No. If you administer your machine in a sensible way this product
and others like it are unnecessary.

For you administration information needs see the Linux admin
guide available here:

    http://www.tldp.org/

Apart from that, it would be sensible to be on the security
update mailing list for you distribution and install security
updates as they become available.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"... the industrial-capitalist mode of software production
was doomed to be outcompeted from the moment capitalism
began to create enough of a wealth surplus for many
programmers to live in a post-scarcity gift culture."
-- Eric S. Raymond

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Antivirus for Fedora 14
    ... it's been around a decade that I've been running Linux this way. ... run anti-virus software on the Linux computer. ... and outside of the other ones that Fedora users commonly ... But if you install scripts from goodness knows ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Antivirus suggested for Linux?
    ... > install any sort of anti-virus software for Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • [opensuse] Re: Suse 10.3 install - oh dear (rant only)
    ... when I share an opinion, I make an effort to do so in an unemotional way. ... Linux, and oftentimes suggest it to people who are willing to try ... is important to take into consideration not only the feedback that comes ... likely able to install the product on their own, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
    (comp.databases.pick)