xinetd & proftpd configuration

From: Nomad (noone@home.now)
Date: 01/05/03

    From: Nomad <noone@home.now>
    Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:24:41 +0900

    I am running MDK 9/KDE 3

    I want to set up occaisional ftp access to my box. I read that the best way
    to do this was with inetd/xinetd.

    I have tried to configure the relevant services via linuxconf by adding
    proftpd to the list of servers to be started by xinetd. But every time I
    restart the PC the servers are the same as before, proftpd is missing.

    When looking at netstat I get this:

    [root@nomad paul]# netstat -atp|grep LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:1026 *:* LISTEN 2357/licq
    tcp 0 0 *:9098 *:* LISTEN 1650/xinetd
    tcp 0 0 *:9099 *:* LISTEN 1650/xinetd
    tcp 0 0 *:x11 *:* LISTEN 1624/X
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:* LISTEN 1808/master

    I am assuming that xinetd is listening for connects from the internet.

    Another problem with proftpd is obtaining the IP address of my box. When I
    try to start it I get:

    Fatal: unable to determine IP address of 'xxxx.xxxx.xxxx'

    I can enter this information manually into hosts but again when I reboot the
    PC that information is also missing. Linuxconf is also no help in this
    respect as everything seems to be overwritten with default information on
    reboot.

    I use Shorewall firewall which (I think) allows port tcp/21 connections.

    I am stuck, I seem to be going around in circles. Any help appreciated. If
    you need extra information please ask.

    --
    Nomad.
    ...it's how you travel.

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: How do I fix "Netmeeting could not start." problem?
      ... >> think of why a reboot would solve the problem (unless it just shuts ... It seems to show nothing listening on any port which is unlikely I think -- ... -- did you use netstat option to see listening ...
      (microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting)
    • Re: RDP incoming not working on Server 2003
      ... REBOOT IT and see if that fixes it. ... netstat -a |find "3389" ... ....check for "listening" ...
    • Re: Socket leak
      ... MS> TimeoutLinger or TimeoutIdle? ... It might be that it is not proftpd but other application that cause the leak. ... Convert the last two numbers to port and check by netstat if you ... Look for sockets with 0 count. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)