xinetd & proftpd configuration

From: Nomad (noone@home.now)
Date: 01/05/03

    From: Nomad <noone@home.now>
    Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:24:41 +0900

    I am running MDK 9/KDE 3

    I want to set up occaisional ftp access to my box. I read that the best way
    to do this was with inetd/xinetd.

    I have tried to configure the relevant services via linuxconf by adding
    proftpd to the list of servers to be started by xinetd. But every time I
    restart the PC the servers are the same as before, proftpd is missing.

    When looking at netstat I get this:

    [root@nomad paul]# netstat -atp|grep LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 *:1026 *:* LISTEN 2357/licq
    tcp 0 0 *:9098 *:* LISTEN 1650/xinetd
    tcp 0 0 *:9099 *:* LISTEN 1650/xinetd
    tcp 0 0 *:x11 *:* LISTEN 1624/X
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:* LISTEN 1808/master

    I am assuming that xinetd is listening for connects from the internet.

    Another problem with proftpd is obtaining the IP address of my box. When I
    try to start it I get:

    Fatal: unable to determine IP address of 'xxxx.xxxx.xxxx'

    I can enter this information manually into hosts but again when I reboot the
    PC that information is also missing. Linuxconf is also no help in this
    respect as everything seems to be overwritten with default information on
    reboot.

    I use Shorewall firewall which (I think) allows port tcp/21 connections.

    I am stuck, I seem to be going around in circles. Any help appreciated. If
    you need extra information please ask.

    --
    Nomad.
    ...it's how you travel.