Re: nmap on firewall machine.

From: Dragan Colak (dragan_colak@gmx.de)
Date: 01/04/03

From: Dragan Colak <dragan_colak@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:11:50 +0100

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 07:17:22 +0100, AG wrote:

> I am learning how to use nmap and can't figure out how to use it on the
> firewall machine to test the firewall. Can I use it to test the
> input/output rules or do I have to be outside of my firewall machine to
> run it. Thanks

You don't want to use nmap on the machine itself to probe it. To see what
ports are open use netstat, to check the firewall functionality invoce
nmap from an outside machine (think and do like a potential intruder
would).

Dragan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: nmap on firewall machine.
    ... >> firewall machine to test the firewall. ... >> input/output rules or do I have to be outside of my firewall machine to ... > You don't want to use nmap on the machine itself to probe it. ... > ports are open use netstat, to check the firewall functionality invoce ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • nmap on firewall machine.
    ... I am learning how to use nmap and can't figure out how to use it on the ... Can I use it to test the input/output ... rules or do I have to be outside of my firewall machine to run it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)