Re: Why is login so screwed up?

From: Bill Unruh (unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 12/14/02

From: unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh)
Date: 13 Dec 2002 23:55:44 GMT

"Chuck Mendell" <dnegorsk@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

]I'm new to Linux. Have Red Hat 8.0 Personal. Trying and willing to learn.
]When I set Linux up, I gave them the root password they asked for. I also
]gave them a user name for myself and a password for that (different than
]root). I wrote them both down so I wouldn't make any errors. I registered
]with Red Hat and gave them a third different user name and password (They
]insisted). Ok, so far so good! When I booted my machine, it asked for a
]login with my user name, and it showed a long number, separated with
]hyphens, for my
]computer name??? I tried to login using the name I gave during setup, along
]with the password. It refused me, eventually letting me login anyhow. It
]said it couldn't locate me on the internet. What is going on? I just want
]to simply login using either my root and PW or user name and PW, and I
]definitely want to change that very long computer name to something shorter,
]because it appears as part of my prompt when using Terminal. Can anyone help
]me or direct me where I can get help?

Well, this is a bit short on details, while being long on pain.
"When I booted my machine, it asked for a
]login with my user name, and it showed a long number, separated with
]hyphens, for my
]computer name?"

What does this sentence mean? You are either presented with an xdm login
( that is a largly white screen with a little box in the middle into
which you are supposed to type your username and password,) or asimple
text only based console, with the word Login: on the left hand side.
Which are you using?

"It refused me, eventually letting me login anyhow"
Either you logged in or you did not. No linux system will refuse your
login but let you in anyway. It does not work that way. If you logged on
it was because you entered a valid username and password and you
successfully logged in. What does the word :It refused: mean? What
EXACTLY did it do or say to make you thing it refused?

What do you mean you entered a username and password for Redhat on
the net? When did this happen? What exactly was the situations?

Your computer's name is in /etc/sysconfig/network. Change it there if
you wish.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: oh shit : did i just lose all my data?
    ... that would boot yout linux onto a shell, ... your root filesystem with read-write permissions. ... and add your /usr partition to automount.... ... >> to login to my machine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: oh shit : did i just lose all my data?
    ... that would boot yout linux onto a shell, ... your root filesystem with read-write permissions. ... and add your /usr partition to automount.... ... >> to login to my machine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Unable to login to Opensuse after successful installation
    ... username, even it is not recognizing "root", i'll explain the current ... Linux Login: root ... and the prompt re appears. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Putty for SSH access
    ... I can log into my linux pc with the username (root) / password ... At a commandline login through a terminal directly wired to the ... If your ssh server refuses root logons, you /could/ just change the ssh ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • PermitRootLogin (was: Re: Tightening SSH access)
    ... I just tried configuring one of the servers to disallow root login. ... you got the correct password (I know that guessing the root password ... IMHO, if the server must wait until the time to refuse login, then ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)