Why is login so screwed up?

From: Chuck Mendell (dnegorsk@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: 12/13/02

From: "Chuck Mendell" <dnegorsk@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:06:51 GMT

I'm new to Linux. Have Red Hat 8.0 Personal. Trying and willing to learn.
When I set Linux up, I gave them the root password they asked for. I also
gave them a user name for myself and a password for that (different than
root). I wrote them both down so I wouldn't make any errors. I registered
with Red Hat and gave them a third different user name and password (They
insisted). Ok, so far so good! When I booted my machine, it asked for a
login with my user name, and it showed a long number, separated with
hyphens, for my
computer name??? I tried to login using the name I gave during setup, along
with the password. It refused me, eventually letting me login anyhow. It
said it couldn't locate me on the internet. What is going on? I just want
to simply login using either my root and PW or user name and PW, and I
definitely want to change that very long computer name to something shorter,
because it appears as part of my prompt when using Terminal. Can anyone help
me or direct me where I can get help?

Relevant Pages

  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • RE: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... symptom trying to su back to root. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: BSM, SSH, and Session ID
    ... Are you logging in as root through ssh or is that just the way it is ... Sun SSH/OpenSSH should fork off before the login because the sshd ... It should always be a different session, ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: i can not log as a root
    ... >> how i can log as a user but not as a root. ... > Problem seems to be with the X session not your login but we'll try a few ... > select the OS/kernel that you boot to, ... > Looks like something is wrong with your Xsessions script or one of the ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... login would do anything but loop back to the Login: ... >From Gnome desktop, I was able to logout user, login root, over and ... Am able to boot from floppy. ... >After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to ...
    (Fedora)