monitoring tool for wireless-lan (802.11b)

From: Andree (Andree@nospam-toonk.nl)
Date: 12/03/02

From: "Andree" <Andree@nospam-toonk.nl>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:51:02 +0100

Hello everyone,

Im a network administrator, in our netwerk weve got multiple wireless-lan
(802.11b) hosts.
I would like to monitor these hosts / network.
I think the most easy way to accomplish this, is to setup a wirreless
AcessPoint on a Linux host.
This AccessPoint is used to connect the wireless clients to the
wired-network.

Im particulare interested in the following information:
* IPsource addres
* Link quality of each host
* which hosts use the access point
* used frequencys
* retransmissions
 * etc...All kind of 802.11b information.

I prefere to keep on using the Accesspoint I already use (hardware
accespoint, not a linux host).
Just a linux (or freebsd) host which can listen to the 2,4Ghz frequency
would be even better!
I tried to put the wireless card (orinoco/hermes) in promiscuous mode, but
for some reason this doesnt work (I even lost connectivity with the
accesspoint).
I also tried iwlist, this only shows local information, iwspy didnt show
anything.
I hope anyone can advise me about this case...
Im curious to find out if there are any tools to monitor/snif my wirelles
network.

Thanks in advance
Andree

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 2 pc network - cant see host files from pc 2 on pc 1
    ... If the second card is lost on HOST PC then DSL Internet does not connect. ... Ditch the second network card in the one ...
  • Re: Emailing web form information to me
    ... Which version of Publisher are you using? ... both FTP uploading and FPSE uploading. ... use of FPSE and using the form program provided by your host? ... Instead you need to map a network ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • 2wire router configuration
    ... firewall on this router and to configure my network ... Go to Home Network -> Advanced Settings ... X Default DHCP Pool ... Configure host to use DHCP with host name sent ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Network Monitoring system - need help
    ... monitor, where you can use GetTable to check peers and count time ... for connected peers. ... > i dont have any experience in network programming ... > 2.How long the Host Connected ...
  • Re: Do I Have A Firewalled LAN Run By ISP In Between?
    ... from that host while at host ... running a layer within a layer, with a complex network address translation ... application called "Internet Connection Sharing". ... what those packets are for, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)