Re: ssh and firewalls

From: /dev/rob0 (rob0@gmx.co.uk)
Date: 11/28/02

From: /dev/rob0 <rob0@gmx.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:55:32 -0800

In article <as3k1v$2odh$1@boole.maths.tcd.ie>, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>They are using telnet *client*, not telnetd. It's an important
>>diagnostic tool in many situations.
>
> I understood the original poster was trying to ssh _in_ to his Linux box,
> so he would presumably have needed telnetd.

IIUC they were trying to figure out why sshd wasn't working. In a case
like that, "telnet host 22" will help narrow down the cause of the
problem. I use telnet all the time to test TCP protocols.

*Real* men use "telnet news.server 119" to read and post Usenet. ;)

--
  /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Commentary on the seven words
    ... routinely asked to help with enabling rsh and telnet. ... Shoot, I use SSH & all that, but if I wanted to allow it for some ... > I wrote in with a complaint that Linux will allow a process (like Tar, ... I administrate one system that has 128 clients ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Help: Unable to setup LAN for Linux and WinXp systems
    ... > I have Linux on my desktop and WinXP on my Laptop. ... > I can ping linux ip successfully but cannot ssh or telnet. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: How to set up an account so that you can telnet to it but not su to?
    ... >> We are migrating our UNIX Utilitites software from AIX over to Linux. ... >Throw *OUT* telnet. ... Yes -- use SSH and leave telnet off. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: how to setup telnet on linux?
    ... default is root login from a telnet or ssh session disabled. ... >> i installed linux redhat 9 and also enabled telnet on linux. ... >services you can install. ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: Problem with configuring Telnet
    ... Telnet is unsafe. ... Use ssh. ... With the inordant amount of information provided and with 300+ linux ... and trying telnet from a terminal session from ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)