sshd_config: Not allowing RSA key authentication

From: Jordan Aaronson (jordan@nospam.org)
Date: 06/27/02

From: Jordan Aaronson <jordan@nospam.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:40:03 GMT

Hey guys,

Long time no post. =) I'm having issues with OpenSSH 3.3p1-0.0potato
(debian package) accepting my RSA key from my workstation. Both systems
are running Debian Woody (testing). This might be a really simple
problem to fix, but I've been looking at this for almost 2 weeks on and
off and can't figure out why it won't accept it. It always defaults to
my user account password, and if I disable PasswordAuthentication, it
just quits with "Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive)."
Here's my sshd_config file:

# Package generated configuration file
# See the sshd(8) manpage for defails

# What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
Port 22
# Use these options to restrict which interfaces/protocols sshd will bind to
#ListenAddress ::
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
Protocol 2
# HostKeys for protocol version 2
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
# Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
ServerKeyBits 768

# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO

# Authentication:
LoginGraceTime 600
PermitRootLogin no
StrictModes yes

RSAAuthentication yes
AuthorizedKeysFile %h/.ssh/authorized_keys

# rhosts authentication should not be used
RhostsAuthentication no
# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
IgnoreRhosts yes
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
HostbasedAuthentication no
# Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
RhostsRSAAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes

# To enable empty passwords, change to yes (NOT RECOMMENDED)
PermitEmptyPasswords no

# Uncomment to disable s/key passwords
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication no

# Use PAM authentication via keyboard-interactive so PAM modules can
# properly interface with the user
PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt yes

# To change Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#AFSTokenPassing no
#KerberosTicketCleanup no

# Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing yes

X11Forwarding no
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd no
#PrintLastLog no
KeepAlive yes
UseLogin no

#MaxStartups 10:30:60
#Banner /etc/issue.net
#ReverseMappingCheck yes

#UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

I should add that I can login correctly with my workstation to a debian
potato (stable) system on my network using RSA key authentication just fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!!

- Jordan

Relevant Pages

  • sshd_config: Not allowing RSA key authentication
    ... are running Debian Woody. ... # To enable empty passwords, ... # Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver ... potato system on my network using RSA key authentication just fine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • sshd
    ... I have a question concerning sshd. ... I'm unable to connect from outside to my Debian box. ... # To enable empty passwords, ... # Kerberos options ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Breakin attempts
    ... correct operation of the network? ... The core problem is to prevent someone from guessing users' passwords. ... Force them to use a 1k-2k RSA key ... Then you can look at the ssh log files and ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Breakin attempts
    ... The core problem is to prevent someone from guessing users' passwords. ... Force them to use a 1k-2k RSA key ... Then you can look at the ssh log files and ... Unless someone builds a quantum computer that can implement the Shor ...
    (Fedora)