Re: Why is BSD more secure?

From: Tim Haynes (usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk)
Date: 05/23/02

From: Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk>
Date: 23 May 2002 18:31:34 +0100

svek <svekSPAM-NO-MORE@gmx.net> writes:

> And BTW the r* services such as rhost, rsync etc were deleoped for the
> BSD OS before they were adopted by others, and these are fairly secure
> right?

I don't think you want to include rsync in your list of r-services,
somehow. You meant rusers, ruptime, rsh, rexec. Portmapper-using cretinous
lumps of code.

> I'm not trying to start a flame war, I use linux and do like it, but if
> people want to use *BSD, tru64, solaris etc it's fine by me just don't
> claim you can make them more secure over any other UNIX like OS.
> They were all developed from the same idea of use.

Pretty well put :)

~Tim

--
A big sky above me,                         |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
West winds blow.                            |http://spodzone.org.uk/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why is BSD more secure?
    ... > BSD OS before they were adopted by others, ... I don't think you want to include rsync in your list of r-services, ... > people want to use *BSD, tru64, solaris etc it's fine by me just don't ... > claim you can make them more secure over any other UNIX like OS. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Why is BSD more secure?
    ... >>> BSD is far more secure linux kernel exploits are found regularly ... >>> bsd was designed to be very secure and has used crypto for far longer ... >> and linux was meant to be a UNIX like operation system, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Why is BSD more secure?
    ... >>> BSD is far more secure linux kernel exploits are found regularly ... >>> bsd was designed to be very secure and has used crypto for far longer ... >> and linux was meant to be a UNIX like operation system, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Why is BSD more secure?
    ... >> BSD is far more secure linux kernel exploits are found regularly ... >> bsd was designed to be very secure and has used crypto for far longer ... incremental updates that are much safer than doing them all at once. ...