Re: Exporting (home) directories (Was: Re: SSHD defaults)

From: Dimitri Maziuk (dima@
Date: 06/29/02

From: Dimitri Maziuk <dima@>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:20:20 +0000 (UTC)

begin 666 your_newsreader_is_broken
thus spake Stewart Honsberger:
... I was recently discussing my home
> network layout with a friend, one in which I export certain directories
> (home dirs, files, multimedia content, etc.) via both NFS and SMB, due
> to the mixed operating environment of myself and those with whom I share
> the house.
> Getting directly to my question; what is/are a) the best way to export
> directories across a network, and b) common practises in this regard?

On a firewalled LAN you'd usually go for NFS & Samba. There are
alternatives, like coda, but they're an overkill and a bitch to
get going in most cases.

> Some of the parameters go as follows;
> o For file directories, certain users on certain machines should have
> read/write access, many should have read-only access, and others still
> should have no access.

You should be able to do that with Unix user/groups & samba mappings.
They are not flexible enough for large number of users & groups, but
on a home LAN you should be OK.

> o Home directories. This is a given - multitudes of machines on the network,
> some with more than one user, each wanting access to their (centralized)
> home directory. Security in this regard is essential, for the reasons you
> state above and more, ad infinitum. Anybody could very easily connect a
> laptop to one of my active drops, create (and su to) a user, and they've
> got access to my or somebody else's home directory.

Set up a windows domain, central auth server (maybe LDAP?), get dhcpd
to check MAC addresses etc.

Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the
documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies.
                                                            -- Andrew Dalgleish