Re: Encrypting Harddisk?

From: Jedi Master (gunsmith@no.spam.gr)
Date: 06/29/02

From: Jedi Master <gunsmith@no.spam.gr>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:45:53 +0300

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 06:10:58 +0300, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> It's quite possible. The user's machine can phone home for the key. This
> procedure can be made as easy or difficult as you wish, requiring
> arbitrary levels of validation.

I don't think that this would work either. A good progrmmer (and reverse
engineerer) could isolate the portion of the program which whould phone
somewhere to get the key, and use it with a couple of modifications in
order to get the key to his harddisk. I don't think that it is too
difficult for someone who knows ....

And as the other idea, what about this scenario :
Lets say that i am the customer.

I try to copy the program but i need the key which is stored in my
motherboards eeprom. I try to open the case but the light detector gets
light and flushes the eeprom with a bare bootstrap to allow remote
recovery. I detect the light sensor (I am not an idiot, and security by
obscurity is NOT security as previously mentioned) and I stick a piece of
black paper in front of the detector. I start up the machine which will
get its OS back remotely possibly via phone. Then i get eeprom in my hand
having the OS inside it.

And consider the other scenario.

No matter what u do to protect your program, i *can* make a program which
will dump the entire memory
in my harddisk as soon as the program is loaded. How would u prevent this ?

--
Gunsmith

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encrypting Harddisk?
    ... motherboards eeprom. ... I try to open the case but the light detector gets ... light and flushes the eeprom with a bare bootstrap to allow remote ... I detect the light sensor (I am not an idiot, and security by ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: RCA P60928 PTK195 Chassis no power
    ... change again with the remote. ... It's unlikely the micro is bad unless you caught some lightning. ... If the eeprom is bad, you will need to confirm it with a ... evidence of coolant leakage around the micro, eeprom, and LV ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Help needed with JVC TV
    ... Thanks James what you suggested worked. ... I was fortunate to have a universal remote which contained the "Display" ... >> EEPROM and this resets the EEPROM. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)