Re: Enquiry regarding Linux in Mission Critical situation

From: Robert Redelmeier (redelm@ev1.net.invalid)
Date: 06/28/02

From: redelm@ev1.net.invalid (Robert Redelmeier)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:53:04 GMT

[fup2 comp.os.linux.advocacy] *** <apexx@softhome.net> wrote:
: I am posting this information to find out the true extend of Linux on
: Mission Critical application.
:
: Several years ago, - 1997 to be exact, - on a conference I attended
: someone from RedHat gave a speech. In the speech, the guy commented on
: Linux had (at that time) achieved 99.9% uptime, and Red Hat was aiming
: for 99.99999% ( Seven-9s ) uptime before failure.

Seven-9s is 0.1 parts-per-million down. 3 seconds down a year.

If you really need that performance from a system, you'd better spend
alot of effort on _all_ parts of the system (multiple independant
power, cooling and network) and have multiplem machine & site redundancy.

Improving the OS from 99.9% to 99.999...% will help little if the
network or power is only 99%.

Are you also _sure_ that uptime is the important metric? Usually,
people are willing to wait a few seconds. Data loss can be a big
problem, particularly if it isn't indentified at the time.

In this respect, perhaps ext2 and journalling have brought Linux
up to the level of *BSD with SoftUpdates. AFAIK, MS-Windows
has always done very limited write-caching because of the known
unreliability of the OS. I don't know if later versions of NT
are tuned for more caching. Of course, if you're really paranoid,
you run a slow sync filesystem.

-- Robert

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Network broken on HP e-Vectra
    ... sets up OK, then chaining in Linux. ... In fact, once I've run windows, and the ... The network stays working until I power down the box. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Enquiry regarding Linux in Mission Critical situation
    ... someone from RedHat gave a speech. ... Linux had achieved 99.9% uptime, ... power, cooling and network) and have multiplem machine & site redundancy. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Linux TTS Engines
    ... >> I am looking for a good sounding text to speech engine for Linux. ... >> sells both the AT&T Natural Voice and IBM ViaVoice SDKs for Linux. ... How responsive the tts engines are? ...
    (comp.speech.users)
  • Re: Speech to Text under Linux
    ... Does anybody know about any program that can do "Speech to Text" under ... I read that IBM had a program named Via Voice for Linux, ... I work for Conversay and we focus on speech recognition in small devices. ... We are also developing an LVCSR system than can run on Linux, ...
    (comp.speech.users)
  • Re: Open Source Speech Recognition
    ... There are speech synthesizer support packages in Ubuntu / Debian Linux, ... I hope that somebody develops this into a usable desktop component in ... It would be awesome if I could dump an audio file from ...
    (Ubuntu)