iptables: my ISP's NNTP server doesn't talk back now

From: Dan Jacobson (jidanni@dman.ddts.net)
Date: 06/25/02

From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 07:45:32 +0800

Fellas, I used "Rusty's Really Quick Guide To Packet Filtering"
i.e. /usr/share/doc/iptables/html/packet-filtering-HOWTO.html#toc5 on
a system near you, and I ended up locking myself out of my ISP's news
server. Not other news servers, not ftp, just my ISP's private
server:
$ telnet news.hinet.net 119
Trying 168.95.195.16...
Connected to netnews.hinet.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
help
--------
and then it just hangs. When I remove all the rules there is no
problem. Help.

--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lost All Newsgroups/Error Message
    ... Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2900.3028 ... server. ...
  • Re: Vista General
    ... I am seeing all of your postings in this thread in the Windows.Vista.Installation_setup Newsgroup ... msnews.microsoft.com but this server does not show my postings under one heading, although I do find posted them by other means, which are time consuming - therefore I want another server who produce microsoftpublic.windows.vista.general with my postings. ... This is Microsoft's public server for NNTP (News Network Transfer Protocol), ... Microsoft doesn't like that - and neither will your friends who try to Reply to your email. ...
  • Re: OT History of usenet
    ... I can go via my ISP, who no longer provides a news service, ... This is the Internet after all. ... server operators don't use it, allowing anyone to access their servers. ... "Google Groups", but many people never go near Google at all. ...
    (misc.health.diabetes)