Re: double the buffer? - buffer overflows

From: Andrew S. (andrew-news@shaw.ca)
Date: 06/22/02

From: "Andrew S." <andrew-news@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:29:41 GMT

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:37:56 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Andrew S. wrote:
>
>> Well, following this advice I have upgraded gcc to 3.1, and low and
>> behold, nothing! I still get the compiler giving the size of 40 bytes
>> instead of 20, my question stands: Is this standard on most linux
>> computers or not?
>
> Padding data structures for byte/word alignment is a common compiler
> optimization.

k, Thanks! That's what i wanted to know.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: double the buffer? - buffer overflows
    ... > Well, following this advice I have upgraded gcc to 3.1, and low and ... > behold, nothing! ... I still get the compiler giving the size of 40 bytes ... Computer System Administrator http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/ ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)