Re: double the buffer? - buffer overflows

From: Hal Burgiss (
Date: 06/22/02

From: Hal Burgiss <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:22:22 GMT

On 21 Jun 2002 14:35:06 GMT, svek <> wrote:
> Hal Burgiss <> wrote in
>> Bullshit. You obviously never used it.
> it's quite interesting that they haven't even got the 2.96 gcc
> compiler on GNUs gcc homepage, which pretty much states that it was a

Only interesting as FUD ammo. It is obviously not supported by them, so
no reason to be listed as a supported release. But is supported by Redhat,
so if you want to find compilers supported by Redhat, you can go
whereever on, and I am sure you will find it. Now if you want
to use it on non-redhat system, you have a tough choice to make,
assuming you want/need support. Otherwise, it is a non-issue.

Have I missed something in the GPL that says improving on someone elses
work is a bad idea? Especially since they put this out there, some gcc
bugs were found sooner than they might have been otherwise, which were
fed back to gcc development.

As to questions of quality, you will have a hard time convincing me,
unless you've used it more:

[hal@cadillac hal]$ grep make .bash_history* |wc -l

And its been a long, long time, since anything I've built had any kind
of problem that might be traceable to compiler misbehavior.

> beta.
> /svek

Hal Burgiss

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Whats the story with the "end of XP"?
    ... Support gives them access to the larger body ... The same compiler suite may be "best" in both ... In the case of ByteCraft compilers, you are truly expert in your field, you work closely and rapidly with customers if there are any issues, and you have top class testing and quality control. ... understanding the inner workings of a relatively simple compiler like GCC ...
  • Re: Idea: Multitasking graphical OS for the GS
    ... IIgs 65816 compiler that has nearly the number of ... gcc also has a much larger support infrastructure where it will be easier to ... The software developer and the hardware ...
  • Re: Non ASCII characters in CFString litteral, HELP !
    ... CodeWarrior is PPC-only and very dead, ... compilers listed don't even support Objective-C. ... It is indeed lamentable that we have pretty much only one compiler ... For this particular case, blame C or Cocoa, not gcc. ...
  • Re: Compiling Tcl with Msys/MinGW on Windows XP
    ... checking for gcc... ... checking whether the C compiler is a cross-compiler... ... checking for EXCEPTION_DISPOSITION support in include files... ... I saw one case were people had to use msys 1.0.6 ...
  • Re: RFC: drop support for gcc < 4.0
    ... gcc 3.2, but works when compiled with gcc 4.2" will most likely be lost ... use gcc-3 as the default kernel compiler will take it seriously (if it ... looks to have an impact to our kernel builds) otherwise we can tell you ... badly broken" would be "only support what the GCC team supports", ...