Re: Errata for RedHat: how reliable?

From: Bruno Wolff III (bruno@cerberus.csd.uwm.edu)
Date: 06/17/02

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno@cerberus.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: 17 Jun 2002 15:52:41 GMT

In article <5c54b98.0206170622.3d8095b@posting.google.com>, cam wrote:

> - I'd be very tempted to use djbdns having had good experiences with
> qmail but I'm put off for the very reasons you mention: the
> documentation isn't for bluffers like me. I'm going to look into using
> it longer term (why doesn't everyone, BTW, if its as good as it's
> supposed to be?)

Running a cache for a single machine isn't too hard. If you are running
daemontools already, it is very easy. Otherwise you either need to also
install daemontools or get instructions for using it without daemontools.

Most people don't run it because their systems come with bind.
The reason that it doesn't come preinstalled is because DJB has limitations
on binary distributions that are incompatible with how the people making
distributions want to do things.

Also if you are running an authoritative server that gets updates from
remote systems, then you need to worry about how you are going to do the
updates.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Errata for RedHat: how reliable?
    ... > qmail but I'm put off for the very reasons you mention: ... install daemontools or get instructions for using it without daemontools. ... on binary distributions that are incompatible with how the people making ... Also if you are running an authoritative server that gets updates from ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Installed XP SP2 last night 52 patches. Oh right, it is Micro$oft
    ... installed XP on my black MacBook running bootcamp. ... ignoring the nearly 36 incremental OS updates & fixes! ... reasons you state are not among my reasons for enjoying the products. ... One could upgrade to 10.1 from 10.0 at no cost. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: auto-login multiple accounts
    ... I think there are other reasons ... account for day-to-day tasks is risky or not. ... particularly if one of the updates requires a reboot. ... The softwareupdate command-line tool will install individual ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: FileCopy Without locking the file
    ... it is being updated (for obviously reasons) but it can be done. ... The process that updates the file must update it using Binary Shared (and ... second process will make a copy of what is in the file at the exact instance ... > I think you need to write a little sync code to check the avaialbilty ...
  • Re: Dumb question about Nero
    ... For many medical reasons we ... Yes, graphic drivers DO get updates all the time, but unless you ... except the new versions have added features caused by ...